The Best of 2019
5 – Midsommar
I liked it. A horror movie set in the daylight. Creepy. It had a good enough set of dislikable characters being killed off to keep things interesting.
4 – The Irishman
Scorsese brought back something that I feared we would never see again: his gangster movie style at top form. Although it is a long movie, I actually saw it in a theater and did not realize I hadn’t checked my watch until around the 2:45 mark.
3 – Parasite
Seen twice in theaters. A black-and-white print is circulating limited screens. Awesome visual storytelling. Don’t fear the subtitles.
2 – Joker
Any other year, this movie would be in the top spot. It is that good. Honest social commentary, incredible visual imagery, eerie musical score, and Joaquin Phoenix acting beyond expectations for a role that belonged to Heath Ledger (until now).
This movie defied all expectations. Quentin Tarantino has aged well as a filmmaker. He has aged even better as a screenwriter. As a guy around the same age as both main characters, I felt a little bit of myself in both of those guys. Even though the setting was prior to my arrival on this planet, the humanity that these two display is a cool depiction of what it’s like to be either crazy or totally calm and the
Honorable Mentions of 2019
5 – Jojo Rabbit
- It was great. It hit all the right chords. There was nothing wrong with this one. It just wasn’t this director’s best work to date.
4 – US
- Way better than Get Out. Jordan Peele keeps getting better at horror/ suspense.
3 – The Farewell
- I wasn’t planning on seeing this one. It just happened. I’m not soft; you’re soft.
- This was another great ride in IMAX 3D. These movies are the reason I get AMC A-List. I make my money back and then some when these spectacles get released.
- I loved this one in IMAX 3D. It was great. I loved the editing goof that left young Michael Douglas’s hand as big as his face. I just liked Midsommar a little better.
Worst of 2019
These were based on in-theater screenings only. I saw much worse at home. If you need an example, find The Fanatic on your favorite streaming service.
- Walked out. Didn’t feel bad about it. Thanks A-List.
- I wanted this to be good. It wasn’t.
3 – The Kid
- On a normal day in my life, I would not have wasted 90 minutes of my life on this one. I’ve seen better acting at grade school plays.
2 – Gemini Man
- No amount of 3D and IMAX can make me enjoy this. If IT: Chapter 2 was not released this year, Gemini Man would have reigned supreme.
1 – It: Chapter Two
- Why? This was one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I loved the first chapter. I re-read the book to prepare for this sequel. The book is very long. A great read, but takes some time. This sequel was painful.